Kelley Drye Case Study - NobelBiz
"Thank you for an incredibly good outcome for NobelBiz,"
- Ray Pollum, NobelBiz VP of Sales
Click here to learn about how our team of advisors and lawyers assisted telecommunications industry client NobelBiz.
Kelley Drye's bipartisan team of legislative advocates includes more than 20 government relations professionals with diverse legal and legislative backgrounds and significant credibility with decision-makers at all levels of the federal government. We work to advance our clients' interests as they strive to sustain market leadership, ensure a competitive business environment or achieve a specific policy objective. We not only understand the intricacies of the legislative and executive branches individually, but also help clients navigate the delicate interplay between the two.
Our Government Relations and Public Policy practice is built on a legacy of innovation that stretches back nearly 50 years. In 1963, the firm's Washington, D.C. office was founded by two former congressional staffers, creating one of the first law firms to specialize in lobbying and to bring together attorneys with non-lawyer government relations professionals.
Kelley Drye has maintained a strong government relations practice ever since, offering comprehensive guidance and a range of services that include:
- Legislative Advocacy. Our team emphasizes the key components of a successful legislative advocacy campaign - deep industry knowledge combined with strategic policy and legal insight. The group's efforts range from day-to-day issue monitoring and outreach to the development and implementation of major campaigns for clients, often working to identify and involve key stakeholders and develop coalitions. Kelley Drye has a proven ability to pursue a single objective through multiple forums, using law, economics, government relations, public relations and grassroots advocacy to achieve client goals.
- Regulatory Law Expertise & Counseling. We represent clients before the federal agencies, where decisions on the implementation, promulgation and enforcement of regulations can have an enormous impact on our clients' businesses. Our team of attorneys and government relations professionals specialize in representing clients in all aspects of compliance, including challenges with complicated political processes.
- Campaign Finance & Political Law. We advise diverse corporations, trade associations and labor organizations on all aspects of government ethics, lobbying and campaign finance and election law compliance at the federal, state and local levels.
- Uncovering Business Opportunities with Government Agencies. We sort through the myriad of U.S. government agencies and funding or contract opportunities to identify the best prospects for our clients. We have many years of experience, particularly in the high technology industry and energy sectors, on tracking agency budgets, identifying departments with relevant funding, making contacts with officials, tracking legislative developments, and participating in events to gather intelligence about programs that create opportunities for our clients to sell their products. We leverage our relationships at the Department of Defense, Department of Homeland Security, Department of Energy, and the Department of Commerce, as well as other agencies, to help our clients win business.
- Congressional Investigations. Kelley Drye's experienced team includes partners who have represented companies and individuals subject to high-profile investigations. Our lawyers are familiar with the unique characteristics and "unwritten rules" of congressional investigations, and we guide clients through the process of document production and testimony to maintain our clients' reputation and minimize risk.
Advertising & Consumer Protection
Together with our Advertising Law practice, one of the most respected and nationally-recognized in the country, we advise our clients on consumer protection regulations, including those that are under consideration for legislative or regulatory agency action.
We serve an extensive client base of associations and coalitions in the agricultural and food industry. Our team has worked in many facets of government and industry where agriculture concerns have been important, and has experience with the Federal Agriculture Improvement and Reform Act; the Farm Security and Rural Investment Act; and the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act.
We strategically advance our client objectives, calling upon our team's deep knowledge of the substantive issues involved with the appropriations process to help secure federal funds. This niche is increasingly important, as the Congressional appropriations process has become both politically charged and tightly scrutinized.
Energy and Global Climate Change
We work closely with the firm's Environmental Law and International Trade practices, which allows us to provide a multidisciplinary perspective on climate change regulations that affect businesses at the local, national and international level. We are presently counseling and advocating for our clients on issues such as the development of a new transmission (or SmartGrid), domestic oil and natural gas exploration, and clean electricity generation. Our experience includes work on the Energy Policy Act and the American Clean Energy and Security Act. Additionally, we have conducted significant analyses of prospective climate change legislation for its potential impact on our clients' operations as well as its compliance with existing WTO regulations.
We have successfully guided our clients through many challenging environmental issues - regionally, nationally, and internationally. Our experience includes work on the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) regarding corrective action, land disposal restrictions and underground storage tanks; the Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA), more commonly known as Superfund; Clean Air Act; and Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA).
Fisheries and Maritime
We have one of the nation's foremost multidisciplinary practices in fisheries litigation, regional fishery management council advocacy, regulatory procedure and government relations. Our experience includes work on The Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Reauthorization Act, the Chesapeake Clean Water and Ecosystem Restoration Act, and the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Care, Katrina Recovery and Iraq Accountability Appropriations Act.
Food and Drug Law
We leverage the significant expertise of our Food and Drug Law practice to advise clients on Congressional regulatory reform initiatives, as well as general compliance and enforcement efforts.
We provide clients with strategic advice and advocacy support on healthcare legislation and regulation affecting the rapidly changing industry. Our experience includes work on the recently-enacted Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; Prescription Drug Improvement and Modernization Act; the Prescription Drug User Fee Act (PDUFA); and the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).
Together with our Tax practice group, we advise clients on strategic tax planning issues related to current and pending legislation. We successfully advocate on behalf of our clients to reduce their tax burden, obtaining beneficial tax credits, deductions and depreciation changes.
The role of information and communication technologies in achieving government objectives from energy efficiency to cybersecurity to intelligence analysis in the public and private sectors is leading to rapid growth in the deployment of technology within government and across the economy. Our team helps clients track the trends, opportunities, and barriers to adoption that are affecting technology companies today.
Telecommunications and Privacy
Together with the firm's Telecommunications and Privacy practices, we provide legislative and regulatory advocacy services to a range of clients. Kelley Drye's Privacy and Information Security practice group includes recognized leaders in the field, including two former directors of the Bureau of Consumer Protection at the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
Trade, Tariff and Customs
For more than 30 years, Kelley Drye has been at the forefront of trade issues. We have worked on all of the major trade legislation of the past few decades. We offer data analysis from an in-house team of economists, which allows us to thoroughly understand the impact of trade policy for our clients. Our experience includes work on miscellaneous tariff bills and on legislative campaigns related to trade law initiatives including decisions by the President of the United States and U.S. Trade Representatives.
We have experience with numerous transportation issues, including surface issues as well as Coast Guard and border security issues, as they relate to the overall transportation picture. Our experience includes work on the Transportation Reauthorization Bill, TEA-21; the Coast Guard Authorization Act; The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act - SAFETEA-LU; and the Surface Transportation Authorization Act.