Kelley Drye & Warren LLP is seeking a Bankruptcy Paralegal for our Parsippany Office to support the firm’s New Jersey and nationwide creditor focused practice. The Bankruptcy Paralegal will assist attorney(s) by providing general bankruptcy support services including filing and service of documents in New Jersey bankruptcy courts and other federal bankruptcy courts; document and claim preparation; claims review and analysis; coordination with claims agents, court staff and clients; support for contested hearings; analysis of local rules and procedures; market research, investigation, and fact checking; and closing of bankruptcy and restructuring related transactions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Prepare, file and serve pleadings and calendar and track related deadlines in New Jersey and other federal bankruptcy cases nationwide.
- Understand local rules, practice and procedures and assist attorneys in understanding local practice in connection with case management.
- Manage case calendar, task lists and critical dates trackers and manage files to assist teams in complex chapter 11 representations of official creditors’ committees and individual creditor representations.
- Prepare and file proofs of claim, track claims, and assist with the claims reconciliation process.
- Draft court documents, including retention and fee applications.
- Develop and maintain time records regarding billable hours spent on specific cases, review bills and prepare tracking files in connection with fee application preparation.
- Meet and confer with attorneys, clients, and other professionals to discuss cases, projects and ongoing client development initiatives.
- Review and monitor case dockets to identify, summarize, and circulate relevant pleadings.
- Manage hearing preparation and support, including arranging appearances and preparing hearing materials.
- Assist attorneys with hearing and trial preparation.
- Respond to creditor inquiries.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree with three or more years of relevant bankruptcy experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge of electronic filing through the CM/ECF filing system in New Jersey and other federal bankruptcy courts is required.
- Familiarity with fundamental bankruptcy concepts, court pleadings, claims reconciliation and other related matters.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, and to exercise discretion and good judgment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Powerpoint and Excel.
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).