Our proficiency with the full range of issues involved in managing and defending your important assets—prosecution, portfolio management, licensing and opinions—combined with our extensive intellectual property litigation work enables us to provide tactical, business-minded and comprehensive intellectual property support. Our intellectual property practice is unique in that our primary attorneys handle both IP prosecution and litigation.
Our clients range from multinational companies to entrepreneurial start-ups, and include leaders in the fields of fashion and retail, e-commerce, media and entertainment, consumer products and personal care, financial and information services; software development; consumer electronics; chemicals; pharmaceuticals; telecommunications, nanotechnology software and technology; real estate; and arts, education and nonprofit.
Our trademark and copyright attorneys have the experience and intricate understanding of the law necessary to provide invaluable strategic advice regarding worldwide clearance, brand building, maintenance and enforcement of our clients’ rights. We take the time to understand and keep apprised of all aspects of our clients’ business activity so that we may anticipate and evaluate their intellectual property needs to find effective and cost-efficient ways to build and protect their rights. Our global practice and longstanding relationships with IP colleagues abroad are also invaluable to clients in today’s global economy. The international flavor of our Trademark and Copyright practice has proven advantageous in handling the diverse legal problems arising out of the globalized economy.
Our patent attorneys and agents handle a full range of matters, from patent litigation, including Hatch-Waxman statutes, to preparing opinions on patentability, preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications; reissues, reexaminations and interferences; patent and technology licensing; infringement avoidance; appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; PTAB proceedings, counseling on patent acquisitions, transfer and licensing; and corporate mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, co-marketing and investment due diligence.
Recognition and Honors
- Named an “IP Litigation Powerhouse” and to “Most Feared Law Firms” by BTI Consulting in its Litigation Outlook 2017 and 2018.
- Received National ranking for Intellectual Property Litigation from 2017-2020 by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers joint ranking of “America’s Best Law Firm.”
- Received National ranking for Litigation – Patent, 2020 by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers joint ranking of “America’s Best Law Firm.”
- Received Regional ranking in Chicago for Litigation – Patent in 2020 by U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers joint ranking of “America’s Best Law Firm.”
- Recognized as the Top 50 Best Performing Law Firm representing defendants in Hatch-Waxman litigation by Patexia.
- Our IP practice and lawyers are also consistently ranked by Legal 500 and Chambers USA for Trademark and Copyright law in both contentious and non-contentious matters.
Intellectual Property Areas