Kelley Drye was among the first law firms to develop a practice focusing on the unique needs of trade associations. Given our long history, our representation of nearly 100 trade associations and related industry groups and the extensive experience within the firm, we offer our association clients comprehensive services. We provide our association clients with general counseling services and practical solutions for their many and varied legal challenges. Trade association boards, officers and managers in a variety of industry sectors, including retail, manufacturing, technology, agriculture, services and fisheries, entrust Kelley Drye with their most basic and complex legal matters.
With a track record of success in serving both large and small associations, we approach each association’s legal matters with an understanding of the specific opportunities and challenges that it faces. In particular, we help association clients in the following areas:
- Forming Associations–We guide clients through all phases of the establishment of associations, and the operations of their for-profit and not-for-profit businesses, subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Antitrust Advice–We provide real-time counseling on how competitors can engage in lawful, industry-advancing conduct in the context of their trade association, including antitrust monitoring of meetings; oversight of standard setting activities; development of statistical programs; and generic marketing programs.
- Tax and Corporate Advice–We offer comprehensive tax services, including IRS administrative compliance, with advice customized to the needs of our trade association clients and their affiliated not-for-profit and for-profit entities. We work closely with our clients, providing both technical and practical assistance throughout their organizational life cycles, including guiding their initial formation, refining their existing operations for improved financial health, focusing on major strategic events and, ultimately, dissolving their activities.
- Strategy and Planning–Kelley Drye counsels clients on technology-related issues and conducts strategic planning exercises, including strategies for protecting valuable trademark assets and managing privacy and data security compliance obligations.
- Politics and Legislation–We provide an array of legislative services to advance clients’ interests, as well as assistance with lobbying legal compliance and political action committee activities. Additionally, we update our trade association clients on developments of particular interest to their members.
- Regulatory Advocacy–Ultimately, the Executive Branch of government will implement laws that Congress enacts. How an agency administers a law can be almost as important as what that law actually says. We work with association clients every day that are attempting to ensure clear and reasonable regulations and other agency action.
- Litigation–We resolve difficult disputes while holding the line on runaway costs. The firm’s lawyers thrive on winning tough cases, leveraging the benefits of technology and talented associates to maximize efficiency.
- Day-to-Day Counseling–Our attorneys serve as general counsel to many trade association clients and deliver day-to-day general legal advice, including guidance on issues ranging from employment matters to contract negotiations.
- Management Services–We offer a range of on-site management services, including general staffing, budgeting, meeting and trade show planning, government relations and strategic advice. This has proven to be an economical alternative for many smaller groups by limiting or avoiding costs for employee benefits, rent and other overhead expenses.