On January 22, 2015, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP hosted IN FASHION, its first annual Fashion and Retail Law Summit, featuring discussion of the latest legal and regulatory issues facing executives and in-house counsel in the fashion and retail sectors. Located at the Affinia Manhattan Hotel in New York City, Kelley Drye lawyers, executives from preeminent fashion companies, regulators, and in-house counsel presented on hot button issues impacting the industry including advertising, customs and trade, employment, media and entertainment, government relations, intellectual property, litigation and privacy.
With nearly 100 guests from various areas of the fashion and retail industries and trade associations in attendance, Co-Chief Executive Officer of Tory Burch LLC Roger Farah
delivered the keynote remarks. The day also included a surprise appearance by new Kelley Drye Senior Advisor Lee Terry
, eight-term Congressman from Nebraska. Through an assortment of brief presentations and in-depth panel discussions, top practitioners provided insights and key takeaways on prevalent and critical legal issues affecting the fashion and retail industry. Kelley Drye plans on hosting a second Fashion and Retail Summit in 2016.
IN FASHION: Fashion and Retail Law Summit panels included:
- Risky Business: The New Reality of Supply Chain Management
- First Sale Customs Valuation: Legally Lowering the Landed Costs of Goods
- Around the World in 45 Minutes: Global Intellectual Property Strategies
- Minding the Store: Protecting and Defending Your Trade Secrets
- .BEAUTY is in the Eye of the Beholder: The First Year of the gTLD Program
- Crimes of Fashion: From the Red Carpet to the Courthouse Steps
- Watching the Clock: Wage and Hour Risks in the Fashion and Retail Industries
- View From Capitol Hill: What to Expect from the Newly Elected Congress and the Last Years of the Obama Administration
- Retailer Data Breaches: The “Lessons Learned” Tool Kit
- The New Wave of Retail Pricing Litigation: Is the Price Right?
- New Trends in Fashion and Retail Marketing: Social Media and Native Advertising
Details regarding the agenda and speaker line-up are available here
The attorneys in Kelley Drye’s Fashion and Retail practice understand the particular challenges companies in the sector face in developing and protecting key intellectual property assets, complying with consumer product safety and consumer protection regulations, managing the import and export of goods, managing employment issues, and enforcing and defending their rights in litigation before U.S. Courts and other tribunals. Kelley Drye’s national practice combines attorneys from New York, Washington, D.C., Los Angeles and around the country to represent clients in the full scope of advisory, regulatory, transactional and litigation matters that concern companies in this sector. The firm has decades of experience representing some of the world’s most recognized names in fashion, retail, and luxury goods.