Kelley Drye & Warren LLP, a powerhouse firm with the heart of a boutique, is seeking a skilled Director of Attorney Recruiting who thrives on finding talent. This role will be based in the Los Angeles office and responsible for all partner and associate hiring for our California, Illinois and Texas offices. In collaboration with firm leadership, this position will develop and support the firm’s strategic initiatives for attorney recruiting, hiring, and integration. Working closely with the Recruiting Committee, this position will be responsible for revamping and executing our firm-wide recruiting strategy including onboarding and integration strategy for all attorney new hires.
Key Responsibilities Include:
Strategic Growth/Lateral Partner Recruiting
- Share market insights with firm management to contribute to the planning and implementation of strategic objectives and priorities for the recruitment of lateral partners.
- Build relationships with key recruiters in the California, Illinois, and Texas markets, as well as relationships with recruiters who operate nationwide, to ensure they understand the firm’s strategic growth priorities and can properly represent and market the firm.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the lateral partner recruitment process, including sourcing of candidates, meeting scheduling, creating candidate profiles inclusive of background materials, LPQs, feedback from meetings and the business case for individual candidates, conducting conflicts and background checks, and preparing materials for partnership votes.
- Lead onboarding, orientation and integration programming for any lateral partners who join the firm’s California, Illinois or Texas offices.
Lateral Associate Recruiting
- Collaborate with Recruiting, Professional Development, Engagement, Diversity & Inclusion and Legal Personnel team members to create a seamless and efficient approach to recruiting, onboarding and integration across offices.
- Cultivate a strong understanding of various legal markets and build relationships with key recruiters in those markets to ensure they understand the firm’s hiring needs and can properly convey firm culture.
- Communicate with practice group leaders across the firm to get a clear view of lateral associate hiring needs and firm goals; draft job descriptions and gain MP, OMP and Attorneys Committee approval on all searches; provide suggestions on how to source and identify talent that aligns with the needs of the relevant practice group.
- Manage the full recruitment cycle for lateral associate candidates, including sourcing and interview scheduling, feedback collection, offer approval, extension and follow-up, due diligence on candidates, and onboarding and orientation.
- Collaborate with Recruiting, Professional Development, Engagement, Diversity & Inclusion and Legal Personnel team members to create and execute integration plans for lateral hires, taking into consideration the needs of specific groups and building in flexibility and accountability.
Summer Associate Recruiting
- Oversee the law student recruiting process and summer associate programs in California, Illinois and Texas
- Develop and maintain relationships with law school career services offices and student organizations at key feeder schools to coordinate firm participation and sponsorship of outreach activities.
- Lead the 1L and 2L law student recruiting process from screening interviews/on-campus recruiting to facilitating the callback interview and offer process.
- Manage the planning and execution of the summer associate program including the work assignment and evaluation processes, events, and other logistics.
- Support the Hiring Partner and Recruiting Committee to develop and implement hiring strategies, and contribute to the development of firm-wide law student recruiting processes and policies.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant law firm recruiting experience, including at least two (2) years of management experience.
- Service-oriented demeanor; strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact effectively with all levels of firm management and balance multiple deadlines.
- You take ownership of your projects and follow through on their completion. You proactively anticipate, communicate, and work to independently resolve obstacles you encounter in your work. You possess a strong customer-service orientation and ability to work well within a team.
- Excellent judgment, including sensitivity to confidential attorney, personnel, and firm matters.
- Strong analytical skills with high attention to details and accuracy.
- Must be tech-savvy and a highly capable user of Microsoft Office software, with strong Microsoft Excel knowledge a must. Knowledge of viGlobal applicant-tracking software, and/or website management preferred.
- Flexible and adaptable, willing to change direction and priorities to accommodate firm and department needs.
- Occasional travel will be required to firm locations, as needed
Kelley Drye will consider for employment qualified Applicants with Criminal Histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of local law.
The salary range displayed is specifically for those potential hires who will work or reside in Los Angeles if selected for the role. Any offered salary is determined based on internal equity, internal salary ranges, market data/ranges, applicant’s skills and prior relevant experience, certain degrees, and certifications (e.g., JD/technology) for example. The Los Angeles Salary Range: Low: $180,000 High: $220,000.
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).