Hemp and CBD are some of the fastest-growing industries in America — and offer huge business potential and unique challenges for distributors, processors, and investors, as well as companies seeking to capitalize on their emergence. Kelley Drye’s interdisciplinary team helps companies navigate the full range of hemp and CBD-related legal and regulatory challenges, including: state licensing compliance, food and drug regulations, advertising compliance, intellectual property procurement, corporate formation, real estate issues, tax consequences, banking concerns, employment issues, litigation, trade secret protection, internal investigations, criminal defense, and other issues. We leverage our nationwide footprint to provide holistic advice and representation to those directly involved in or looking to enter the industry.
Our recent experience includes:
- FDA and Advertising Regulatory Advice: Assisting multiple companies in navigating complex federal-state issues relative to product labeling and advertising, particularly with regard to CBD products.
- Intellectual Property: Actively prosecuting patents directly or peripherally related to cannabis in a variety of technical disciplines.
- Banking, Securities, and AML: Counseling clients regarding payment transactions, anti-money laundering, and securities issues.
- State Regulatory: Assisting clients in preparing and filing applications for grower and processor licensing in multiple states.
- Labor and Employment: Counseling employers throughout the country on cannabis issues in the employment context.