Below, please find a summary of today’s federal government activities in response to COVID-19.
Today, Senate Majority Leader McConnell (R-KY) said he expects the Senate to focus on the next round of COVID relief legislation when the chamber returns from the upcoming July 4 recess – with the goal of passing legislation prior to the August break (the Senate is currently scheduled to adjourn August 7).
In an oversight hearing
before the House Financial Services Committee today, Treasury Secretary Mnuchin also expressed interest in working on another round of COVID relief legislation in July. He said the administration has been focused on monitoring the results of money that has already been spent under previous relief packages.
Secretary Munchin also said he has been in discussions with bipartisan Members of the Senate Small Business Committee about repurposing the $135 billion in unallocated Paycheck Protection Program (PPP) funds, likely targeting “the most hard hit businesses,” including restaurants and hotels. Today is the last day for entities to apply for PPP loans.
Senate Democrats today released two major relief proposals:
- Senators Wyden (D-OR), Baldwin (D-WI), Bennet (D-CO), Booker (D-NJ) and Van Hollen (D-MD) introduced the Jobs for Economic Recovery Act, which would provide funding for states, tribes and local governments to finance six months of wages and supportive services for unemployed workers.
- Senate Democratic Leader Schumer (D-NY) and HELP Committee Ranking Member Murray (D-WA) introduced the Coronavirus Child Care and Education Relief Act, a $430 billion bill to address the national child care and education crises.
Also of note, a coalition representing state and local governments, businesses, and trade associations wrote to
Senate Majority Leader McConnell and Democratic Leader Schumer yesterday regarding the urgent need for additional federal aid, especially as many state and localities approach the end of their fiscal year this week. Yesterday evening, Senator Wyden led
a Democratic colloquy calling for more assistance for state and local governments.
And in a hearing
before the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committee this morning, White House Coronavirus Task Force Member Dr. Anthony Fauci said, “I would not be surprised if we go up to 100,000 [cases] a day if this does not turn around and so I am very concerned.” He cited indoor gatherings as a major cause of the current surge.
Recent Congressional Statements / Letters
Other Stakeholder Statements / Letters
- Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Leahy Statement On The Need To Pass Another COVID-19 Emergency Appropriations Bill, June 30, 2020
- Senate Unanimously Passes Grassley-Wyden Bill to Keep HHS Repatriation Program Afloat During COVID-19 Crisis, June 29, 2020
- Senators Cramer, Menendez, Tillis, Sinema Introduce Bill to Simplify PPP Loan Forgiveness for Small Businesses, June 30, 2020
- Senators Tillis, Cruz, Rubio, and Capito Introduce Legislation To Expand Debt Forgiveness for Small Businesses, June 30, 2020
- Senate HELP Chairman Alexander: “Stakes are Too High” for Pro-Trump, Anti-Trump Mask Debate to Continue, June 30, 2020
- Senator Murray Calls For National Vaccines Plan From Trump Administration, Cautions Against Repeating Testing Mistakes, June 30, 2020
- Warren, Rubio Introduce Legislation to Study the Effects of America's Overreliance on Foreign Countries and Foreign Direct Investment in its Pharmaceutical Supply Chain, June 30, 2020
- Senators Menendez, Brown Introduce Bill to Support Homeowners, Renters Struggling Amid COVID-19 Pandemic and Economic Fallout, June 30, 2020
- Senator Cortez Masto Cosponsors Bill to Strengthen Medicaid for States Hit Hard During Economic Downturn, June 30, 2020
- Senators Cardin, Wyden Lead Senate Finance Democrats Urging Treasury/IRS to Send Missed COVID Relief Payments to Non-filers with Dependents, June 3, 2020
- As Infections Increase, Senator Romney Reiterates Need for Clear and Comprehensive COVID-19 Data, June 30, 2020
- Senator Cassidy Leads Bipartisan Letter Calling for Safe Harbor Extension for Offshore Wind Production, June 30, 2020
- Senator Leahy Calls On Leader McConnell And President Trump To Pass Emergency Funding For USCIS, June 30, 2020
- Pelosi Statement on FDA Coronavirus Vaccine Approval Guidance, June 30, 2020
- Representative Thompson Announces Introduction of Business Interruption Relief Act, June 30, 2020
- Homeland Security Committee Releases Report on Oversight of Federal Coronavirus Response, June 30, 2020
- House Financial Services Committee Chair Waters at Hearing with Powell and Mnuchin on Pandemic Response: We Cannot Endure Another Unequal Crisis or Unequal Recovery, June 30, 2020
- House Energy and Commerce Leaders Pallone and DeGette to Azar: Why is the Administration Sidelining CDC in the Nation’s COVID-19 Response?, June 30, 2020
- Rep. Spano Introduces Bill with Senator Rubio & Senator Cruz to allow Chambers Access to PPP Loans, June 30, 2020
- Representative Peterson Introduces Bill to Cut Red Tape Around EDA Funds, June 30, 2020
- Representatives Mast, Rouda Introduce Bipartisan Legislation To Help Small Businesses Recover From Coronavirus, June 30, 2020
- Representatives Mucarsel-Powell, Young Introduce Bipartisan Legislation To Bring Back Jobs Lost By COVID-19 & Build Resilient Infrastructure, June 30, 2020
- Representative Rose Blasts Senate Inaction Leading to Massive State and Local COVID Budget Gaps, June 30, 2020
- Representatives Tlaib, Neguse Introduce Bill Expanding Local Government, Municipality Access to Pandemic Relief Funding, June 30, 2020
- Representative Hagedorn Leads Bipartisan Letter to HHS on Hospitals Reporting CARES Act Funds, June 30, 2020
- Representatives Johnson, Cuellar Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Support Meat and Poultry Producers, June 30, 2020
- In National Day Of Action, Thousands Of Home Care Workers Across America Demand Coronavirus Protections, Racial And Economic Justice, June 30, 2020
- Survey: Travel Resuming, But Only 44% Of Americans Planning Trips In 2020, June 30, 2020
- AICPA Applauds “Calculate PPP Forgiveness Act of 2020” As A Critical, Positive Step for Small Business Recovery, June 29, 2020
- UFCW: Congress Must Put Workers First As Corporate Bankruptcies Driven by COVID-19 Threaten Safety of Retirement Benefits for Millions of Americans, June 30, 2020
- Coalition Letter Advocating For Federal Aid To State And Local Governments, June 29, 2020
- Major U.S. Airlines Announce Health Acknowledgment Requirement, June 29, 2020
Food and Drug Administration
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
Environmental Protection Agency
Department of Transportation
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Federal Communications Commission
International Trade Commission
Department of Education
State / Local Activity
Given the plethora of state and local actions, we recommend MultiState’s COVID-19 Policy Tracker
as a comprehensive tool to monitor the response