January 18, 2018
On January 18, 2018, Kelley Drye hosted its fourth annual Fashion and Retail Law Summit for executives and in-house counsel. Kelley Drye lawyers and thought leaders from some of the world’s top fashion and retail companies presented on a range of topical legal issues.
“We are thrilled at the success of our Fashion and Retail Summit and are honored to have Bobbi Brown as this year’s keynote speaker,” said Andrea Calvaruso
, chair of Kelley Drye’s Trademark and Copyright practice. “Our guests appreciate the comprehensive, practical and timely look at the hot button issues that impact the fashion and retail industries.”
Over 100 guests from various areas of the fashion and retail industries and trade associations attended the full day session at the W New York. In her remarks, entrepreneur, author and makeup artist Bobbi Brown provided a glimpse of how she built her eponymous brand and shared her insights regarding the evolution of branding and the beauty and retail industries.
Other highlights from the summit included:
- Avoiding A Wardrobe Malfunction: Hot Topics Marketers Didn’t Know They Need to Know
with Christie Grymes Thompson, chair of Kelley Drye’s Advertising practice.
- One Size Does Not Fit All: Working with Influencers and Celebrities with Alexandra Simmerson, corporate counsel at Michael Kors and Advertising partner Gonzalo Mon.
- On Trend: Hot Topics in IP Law This Season with Anna Dalla Val, vice president, intellectual property counsel at Ralph Lauren Corporation, Andrea Calvaruso and Patent partner Michael Zinna.
- Work It: Employment Law and Compliance Changes Coming Down the Runway with Labor and Employment partner Mark Konkel.
- Managing Legal Fees: Best Practices for In-House Counsel in the Ethics, Management and Recovery of Legal Fees with Steven Tasher, CEO of Wyatt Partners, and Bill Jackson, co-chair of Kelley Drye’s Environmental Law practice.
- How Does It Look?: Perks and Pitfalls of Virtual and Augmented Reality with Litigation partner David Fink.
- A New Look: Adding GDPR to your Data Protection Wardrobe with Greg Sparrow, vice president and general manager of CompliancePoint, and Data Privacy partners Dana Rosenfeld and Alysa Hutnik.
- Trade Under Trump: Challenges and Opportunities Facing the Apparel and Retail Industries with Jeff Chester, senior director of global logistics and transportation for Spanx, Government Relations and International Trade partner Paul Rosenthal and special counsel Laura Rabinowitz.
- The View from Capitol Hill: Top Legislative Priorities Affecting the Fashion and Retail Industry in 2018 with Charles Miller, Macy's Inc. group vice president of government and public affairs, former Congressman Lee Terry and Kelley Drye’s Government Relations practice co-chairs Paul Rosenthal and Dana Wood.
- Before The Ballot Box: Complying with Ethics, Lobbying, and Campaign Finance Laws Heading Into the 2018 Elections with Campaign Finance and Political Law counsels Dustin Painter and Jeff Hunter.
Details regarding the agendas and speaker line-ups are available here
Kelley Drye attorneys have decades of experience representing the most recognized names in fashion, luxury goods, retail apparel and consumer products in areas of law that include advertising, bankruptcy, corporate, employee benefits, international trade, IP, labor and employment, regulatory issues, litigation and product safety, among others. The team understands the particular challenges these companies face in developing and protecting those key assets, complying with consumer product safety and consumer protection regulations, managing the import and export of goods, handling employment issues, and enforcing and defending their rights in litigation before U.S. Courts and other tribunals.