On February 3, 2011 partner Alysa Hutnik
co-chaired the American Bar Association's (ABA) Consumer Protection Conference. The conference focused on the future of consumer protection law.
The all-star line-up of speakers included:
- FTC Commissioners Julie Brill, Edith Ramirez, and J. Thomas Rosch
- Canada Privacy Commissioner Jennifer Stoddart
- Tony West, Assistant Attorney General, DOJ
- David Vladeck, Director, Bureau of Consumer Protection, FTC
- Joel Winston, Associate Director, Division of Financial Practices, FTC
- Sarah Mathias, Associate General Counsel, FTC
Additional speakers included representatives from the California and Texas Attorneys General Offices, the National Advertising Division, the Center for Democracy & Technology, Electronic Frontier Foundation and the American Bankers Association.
The conference featured a variety of panel discussions covering a broad spectrum of consumer protection law topics. Topics included consumer protection priorities; the next decade of privacy law enforcement; changes to the advertising substantiation doctrine; new rules for consumer financial services marketing practices; third party liability for consumer protection violations; ethics rules regarding social media use in investigations and litigation; and new strategies in filing advertising challenges against competitors.
The full program brochure is available at the ABA's website.