The Environmental Practice Group in Houston, TX seeks a self-motivated, ambitious and well-organized team player to fill a litigation Legal Secretary position. The Environmental Practice Group is engaged in a variety of matters across the country, representing states, municipalities and other governmental entities. This is a non-exempt position that will provide legal and administrative secretarial support to one partner, four associates and two paralegals.
- Prepare, revise, edit and proofread correspondence, briefs, client memoranda and other legal documents.
- Assist with cite checking and assembly of various filings.
- File all necessary documents with courts (e-filing).
- Maintain electronic file of correspondence, pleadings and other records.
- Provide professional telephone coverage for all assignments.
- Coordinate hotel and flight travel arrangements.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and other appointments via Outlook and set-up meetings/calls/videoconferences via LoopUp and Zoom as applicable.
- Maintain client contact information.
- Process any packages and mailings in coordination with attorneys.
- Perform initial conflict checks; open/close client matters; and prepare retention agreements.
- Enter and release attorneys’ time in accordance with firm guidelines.
- Manage billing process and complete narrative edits in coordination with designated billing coordinator.
- Process expense reports and check requests via Chrome River.
- Stay current in the use of all firm systems and practices.
- Back-up other practice group legal secretaries as needed.
- Other duties as requested and assigned.
- High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED), with at least 10 consecutive years of experience as a litigation legal secretary in a law firm.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Proficiency in all electronic filing platforms.
- Kofax Power PDF proficiency a plus. Able to create and combine PDFs, edit and add text, OCR/searchable document, redaction, document comparison and digital signatures.
- Able to work overtime when needed.
- Commitment to superior client service, high level of responsiveness and team work.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under strict time constraints.
- Demonstrates sound judgment, tact and flexibility under pressure in a mixed-matrix environment with many competing priorities.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform all tasks with limited supervision.
- Ability to communicate effectively with attorneys, staff and clients.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Kelley Drye & Warren LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.