Douglass Hochstetler is a partner in the firm's Chicago office. His practice focuses on patent infringement litigation. Kelley Drye’s Patent practice group was named winner of the 2015 Corporate Intl Magazine Legal Award: Patent Infringement Litigation Law Firm of the Year in Illinois.
Prior to being a partner in a large law firm and IP boutique firm since 1990, he was an associate at an IP boutique firm from 1985-90, served in legal and business positions at a large chemical company from 1977 to 1985, and clerked for a Crystal City patent firm and the U.S. Department of Justice while in law school.
Mr. Hochstetler’s patent infringement and Hatch-Waxman litigation experience spans 25 years, including the following:
- Abbott Laboratories v. Mylan Inc. (N.D. Ill) (lopinavir/ritonavir)
- Abbott Laboratories v. Novartis Nutrition (N.D. Ill) (nutritional supplement)
- AHP v. Upjohn Co. (D.N.J.) (canine vaccine)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP v. Sandoz, Inc. (D.N.J. and Fed. Cir.) (quetiapine)
- AstraZeneca LP v. Lek Pharmaceuticals (S.D.N.Y.) (omeprazole)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J.) (esomeprazole)
- Cephalon, Inc. v. Sandoz, Inc. (D.N.J.) (modafinil)
- Elan v. Corepharma (E.D.N.Y.) (metaxalone)
- Endo Pharm. v. Perrigo Co. (D. Del.) (testosterone)
- Forest Laboratories v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D. Del.) (memantine)
- Forest Laboratories, LLC v. Lupin Ltd (D.N.J.) (memantine hydrochloride)
- G.D. Searle LLC v Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (E.D.Va. and Fed. Cir.) (celecoxib)
- Jordan v. Isuzu Motors (N.D. Ill.) (automobile component)
- LAB, SA v. Chemithon Corporation. (W.D. Wash.) (electrostatic precipitation equipment)
- McNeil-PPC v. Procter & Gamble (D. Colo.) (sanitary products)
- Organon Pharmaceuticals v. Geneva Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J.) (mirtazapine)
- Orexo v. Mylan (D.N.J.) (zolpidem)
- Oscar Mayer v. Sara Lee (W.D. Wisc.) (package design)
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. v. Lupin Ltd. (D.N.J.) (aripiprazole)
- Pfizer, Inc. v. Geneva Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J.) (gabapentin)
- Pfizer, Inc. v. Sandoz, Inc. (D. Del.) (azithromycin)
- Proctor & Gamble v. Kimberly-Clark (D.S.C.) (disposable diapers)
- RCT v. Ben Venue Laboratories (D.N.J.) (cisplatin)
- Sanofi v. Sandoz, Inc. (D.N.J. and Fed. Cir.) (oxaliplatin)
- Schering-Plough v. Geneva Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J. and Fed. Cir.) (loratadine)
- Sciele Pharma, Inc. v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D. Del. and Fed. Cir.) (metformin)
- Sepracor, Inc. v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J.) (eszopiclone)
- Shire LLC v. CorePharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (mixed amphetamine salts)
- Shire Pharmaceuticals v. Mylan Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) (lanthanum carbonate)
- Taro Pharmaceuticals v. Synerx Pharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (malathion lotion)
- Teva Women's Health v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et al. (D.N.J.) (oral contraceptives)
- Transco Prods. v. PCI (Fed. Cir.) (nuclear reactor insulation)
- UCB, Inc. v. CorePharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (methylphenidate)
- Unigen Pharmaceuticals v. Perrigo Company, et al. (W.D. Wash.) (antioxidant product)
- United States Gypsum v. National Gypsum (N.D. Ill. and Fed. Cir.) (lightweight joint compound)
- Warner Chilcott v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D. Del.) (oral contraceptives)
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America© (Woodward/White, Inc.), Patent Law & Intellectual Property - Litigation, 2015-2017.
Listed in Illinois Super Lawyers, 2017.
Selected as a 2014 “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property magazine.
Leading Lawyer - Intellectual Property Law, Illinois Leading Lawyers Network.