Beth Jacob is a partner in the firm’s New York office. Her practice focuses on complex civil litigation, trial practice and intellectual property, in particular representing generic pharmaceutical companies in Hatch-Waxman litigation.
Ms. Jacob’s experience includes primary responsibility for major litigation matters and trials, including mass tort product liability, employment discrimination, securities claims and enforcement investigations, trusts and estates, and estate/art valuation, as well as representation of The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey in the property damage litigation arising from the collapse of 7 World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. Ms. Jacob has been lead counsel at more than 25 trials in federal and state courts, as well as specialized forums such as Surrogate’s Court and arbitrations. She has argued appeals before the U.S. Court of Appeals of the Second Circuit and the New York Court of Appeals, as well as lower appellate courts.
She was appointed by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York as a mediator in that court’s mandatory mediation program. She was an assistant district attorney on New York County, assigned to the Rackets Bureau and the Frauds Bureau. She also originated and headed the tax prosecution unit.
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP v. Sandoz, Inc. (D.N.J. and Fed. Cir.) (quetiapine)
- AstraZeneca LP v. Lek Pharmaceuticals (S.D.N.Y.) (omeprazole)
- AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D.N.J.) (esomeprazole)
- Elan v. Corepharma (E.D.N.Y.) (metaxalone)
- Forest Laboratories, LLC v. Lupin Ltd (D.N.J. 2014) (memantine hydrochloride)
- G.D. Searle LLC v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (E.D. Va. and Fed. Cir.) (celecoxib)
- Orexo AB v. Mylan Inc. (D.N.J.) (zolpidem)
- Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. v. Lupin Ltd. (D.N.J.) (aripiprazole)
- Sciele Pharma, Inc. v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D. Del. and Fed. Cir.) (metformin ER)
- Shionogi, Inc. v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals (D. Del.) (metformin)
- Shire LLC v. CorePharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (mixed amphetamine salts)
- Shire Pharmaceuticals v. Mylan Inc. (S.D.N.Y.) (lanthanum carbonate)
- Taro Pharmaceuticals v. Synerx Pharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (malathion lotion)
- Teva Women’s Health v. Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc., et. al. (D.N.J.) (oral contraceptives)
- UCB, Inc. v. CorePharma, LLC (D.N.J.) (methylphenidate)
Memberships & Associations
Bronx Women's Bar Association
International Bar Association, Healthcare and Life Sciences Committee, Chair
Federal Circuit Bar Association
New York City Bar Association, Science and Law Committee, Chair, 2012-2014
New York Intellectual Property Law Association
Court-appointed mediator, United States District Court for the Southern District of New York mandatory mediation program
Instructor, Columbia Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Medical Schools, Residency in Psychiatry and the Law, 2000-2009
Adjunct Professor, Fordham Law School, 2001-2006, New York Practice
Honors & Awards
The Best Lawyers in America© (Woodward/White, Inc.), Mass Tort Litigation/Class Action, 2014-2017.
Listed in “New York Super Lawyers,” 2013-2016.
Martindale-Hubbell - A/V Rated
Ms. Jacob is committed to providing representation to those individuals and institutions who cannot afford to hire lawyers. Her pro bono cases have included representing victims of Storm Sandy in insurance claims, habeas petitions on behalf of detainees at Guantanamo Bay, representation of claimants to the 9/11 Victims Compensation Fund, a successful challenge to New York City’s effort to sell off community gardens, litigation to prevent New York State from warehousing patients discharged from mental hospitals in nursing homes, and defense of a house of worship from claims of a disgruntled employee.